The night before I left for my semiannual trip to Nicaragua, my friend Brooke dropped by as I packed, and being the PR/Multimedia master she is, suggested I do a video blog of my trip since it is such a difficult experience to describe and can only be experienced.
My first efforts are feeble due to a small, partially full memory card in my camera, and not recognizing the great filming op until half-way through the experience, but you catch my drift...kinda
Day number one always begins similar to this scene - screening day. This is the day when parents and children from all over the country gather the the hospital to see if their child is eligible to have surgery done. Usually we screen over 100 children, operating out of two rooms for the surgeons and one for the anesthesiologists.
This kiddo had us all laughing. Believe it or not, his balloon action in this video is toned down from what it was before I started rolling the camera.
This little fella came hop-hop-hopping in and hop-hop-hopping out with as much energy as a jack rabbit. He ended up not needing surgery, but certainly added to our day. Again, the video missed most of his antics.
As you can imagine, we had a lot of rice. And a lot of beans. And more rice. And a choice of two meats. Day. After day. After day. It was all very good, and was pleasantly predictable; but midweek, I had a little fun with the permanent marker after lunch was delivered one day. Usually a picture of the meat is drawn or it is written in. The boxes were conveniently blank the day of the practical joke. While most everyone was tied up in surgery, I added a little "variety" to lunch.
I planted myself by the stack of food with my camera ready to record in history the individual reactions to my plot...Julia, one of the anesthesiologists was one of the first victims:
One by one, the audience grew in size as each person sorted through the lunches, opened their selection with an instance expression of perplextion, only to be followed by the spectators roaring with laughter. My roommate, Ana's, reaction was a personal favorite of mine...
5 comments:
wow what an experience. that is so great!!! i am glad that you did video, it makes it a little more upfront and personal. ps... what did you do after you missed your flight.. that is sad
...okay! that was pretty funny:)
"that's teriyaki??"
Awesome! My favorite is the balloon boy :)
First of all, you are awesome for doing what you did, going down there to help there. And second of all, you are hilarious!!! I miss you!! I haven't seen you since I was pregnant with Derek, or maybe it was the summer after that. But still it has been too long since we got to laugh together.
That was some really yummy teriyaki for all of you out there!!! hahaha :-) Thanks Leslie! :-) That was a great laugh! Great blog by the way.
Post a Comment