Modern transportation has impeccably condensed the size of the world making it possible to make it to and from Italy, sight-see, and attend a conference all in a mere six days. Needless to say, those six days were so intense, I didn't realize I'd been in Italy until I woke up in my own bed on day seven. I found that while I had longed to visit Italy (and even though I was relegated to the coast and didn't see any of traditional northern Italy), my heart is in Germany. The southern Italian coast, actually strangely reminded me of Ecuador. The first day I had to frequently remind myself where I was and restrain the Spanish from popping out of my mouth. Italy IS cleaner, and less arid than the Ecuadorian coast, but many of the buildings and sites are similar. Italians also beat the Ecuadorians in another area - they are even worse at giving directions.
Example:
Me: (in my EnglItlaish) "How do I get to the Hilton Sorrento?"
Them: "The what?" (When they actually acknowledge I asked a question or they weren't a
tourist themself)
Me: "The Hilton - a big hotel"
Them: "I don't know what you're talking about"
(or if they actually knew where I was trying to go: "Go straight then turn left")
Needless to say, we found ourselves on many goose chases. Too bad my co-worker got a stress fracture on the first day. What a trooper.
Day 1 - Mt. Vesuvius and Pompei
Vesuvius FROM Pompei
Day 2: Conference (need I say more?)
Oh yes! Chocolate cake for breakfast at the bed and breakfast we stayed at

Day 4 - quick and crazy bus ride to Positano and then back to Naples to catch and early flight
(when will I ever learn my lesson - schedule the return flight LATER...)

Okay, okay - that looks NOTHING like Ecuador
Obviously there are tons more stories and pictures, but I hate this blog format and have been battling it for an hour now, and I have dishes in the sink calling to me, so this will suffice. Love you all!




2 comments:
So fun to see your pictures!! Wish I could have seen Italy with you . . . (You should get a typepad blog - so much more user friendly.)
You were in ITALY, and you didn't wander over to SLOVENIA!?! For shame!
Post a Comment